Below are your responses to book club activities and organization ... please comment below if you have additional thoughts you want to share. We would love to have them!
1) I think the idea of getting together on the off months is great. I'm always looking for more social outings! The suggestions of restaurants, lectures, movies, short road trips all sound good.
2) I'm happy to host and am pretty flexible. Maybe we should aim to have some back-ups in case the primary host has a last minute conflict. Left-over back-ups can have first dibs on the hosting jobs for 2009.I'd prefer planning 4-6 books ahead to save on shipping charges if ordered online, or increase availability if it's a library book.I'm open to having more get-togethers. We could consider off-month gatherings at a restaurant to discuss a great op-ed piece---or an interesting online magazine article---or just chat. Another option might be to meet on the Katy Trail and chat while we walk---when the weather gets LOTS warmer.
3) Meeting extra times is always a fun idea…even though I’m often too busy, it’s good when some of you can. I’d like to see us pass around a list at the beginning of the year or now or whenever so we could sign up to host (in homes or a restaurant), and Kathie’s back-up idea is perfect. No more than we meet, most wouldn’t have to host but about every 18 months or so. Then if the back up doesn’t host in a given year, she will be on the list to host the following. Anything can come up as we all know and that would give us the security to go ahead and choose a month.
We could draw up a list of 6 books to read every year and decide on the months they will be discussed.
4) I would be interested in outings with the book club. My other book club does this. They go to movies and lectures at the University when someone interesting comes to town. They also go on vacation together (wine tour in California, Home tours in Kansas City each year [some type of fundraiser], St. Louis botanical gardens) those types of things that are an interest to everyone. I think it is more difficult to get together in the summer with vacations and such. Also, we don't need everyone to participate in these outings, just those who are interested. I think my other bookclub averages 5-8 people for their outings, along with their spouses.We could develop an events calendar and have those interested sign up. This would require a fair amount of planning and I'm not sure who would be willing to take that on as a project.I do think it would make the group more cohesive.
5) I'm interested in extra group activities and more group cohesion. It seems like the group is large, and it's difficult to get to know one another. However, people may be too busy because not many people answered in the affirmative to the question of extra activites. We could try it and perhaps there will be more response? But, I guess extra activities for greater cohesion will only work if people want it. At least five of us say yes ... but now what should we do? Is there enough interest? I like the idea of planning meeting times and books ahead.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment